Solidbody Guitar - Nonrefund of Money

Denver, Colorado 6 comments

My wife worked with Ken and Bruce of Solidbody guitar to purchase a 1975 Gibson Les Paul Custom, which was represented to her as in "excellent" condition. They had a YouTube clip of one of the staff members at Solidbody guitar demonstrating the instrument and explaining that the instrument was in "lovely" condition.

On June 4, 2012, my wife wired funds to pay for the vintage guitar and the shipping. The guitar arrived on June 8 with a hand written receipt with the explanation of "their software was down" and signed by Bruce. Upon opening the guitar and completing an inspection, I rated the guitar a 6.5 on a scale of 1-10. It certainly was neither excellent nor lovely and while I am not an expert, I do own and have collected vintage guitars for 30 years and own several that would be deemed "excellent or lovely". The guitar was in need of a fret job, which was not disclosed. In order to keep the guitar original, which would be paramount to me, I checked with the Gibson factory and received a quote of $500-750 to repair the guitar., Inc. has a 48 hour return policy. On June 10, I emailed and left a voice message that we would be returning the guitar; the shop is closed on weekends and the 10th was a Sunday. We shipped it back on June 11, paying an additional $100 to ship it back. We had to pay more than the additional shipping cost because we had to insure the guitar; apparently,, Inc. had not insured it coming this way.

The guitar was received back on June 13. On June 14, Bruce Barnes, the owner of the store, told me that he needed to transfer the funds from his PayPal account and that the money would be transferred shortly. We did not receive the money back.

On Monday, the 18th, I again asked about the money and Bruce told me that the money would be transferred on the 19th, which did not happen. We have made numerous attempts to contact, Inc. via email and phone. We have not had a return communication since June 18.

We wondered if the business was closed due to a vacation or an emergency, so I sent an email from an alternate address inquiring about a different guitar. Bruce emailed back immediately and has continued to correspond with me in an effort to sell the guitar. His repeated responses have occurred in the same time period that he is NOT responding to us regarding the '75 Gibson.

My wife filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau on Thursday, June 21. We have not heard anything from them at this point.

On Monday, June 25, I sent an email stating that we needed to receive communication by 1:00 or we would proceed with any consumer advocate processes and/or legal action. At approximately 2:00, my wife was able to reach Ken in the shop, and he told her that he would call Bruce right away and ask him to call me immediately. We have not received a call back from either Ken or Bruce. At 3:00, my wife tried again. No one answered the phone so she left a voice message that she would file a complaint with the Internet Crime Center if we did not receive a call back by 3:30.

We have still not heard from, Inc.

Review about: Guitar.

Did you receive a refund? I consigned a guitar and I want it back! A 1965 Frost Blue Firebird with 3 P-90s

Andover, Minnesota, United States #800865

i put a 1954 Harmony H-62 on consignment with solidbody guitar in Moundsview mn since then they moved to Hopkins mn and now are closed for good!cant reach anyone!

is it possible to get my guitar back??

can anyone give me any help on this.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States #709271 they got their refund

I'm not sure that the condition of the guitar matters at all. If a store has a 48 hour return policy, they should honor it and promptly. Solidbody's actions in this case are in exusable.

I played this guitar at the SolidBody shop for about an hour after you returned it and thought it was very nice.As you indicate, the frets are not the original ultra-low style, but a more "normal" fret height, but are in good condition.

I would much prefer the frets that are on there now as a player. I don't recall any other issues with the guitar than normal wear from an instrument this age -- certainly higher than 6.5. The gold plating is not bright and shiny anymore, but all my vintage guitars with gold plating are the same way. BTW, I am a collector and have dozens of guitars, many of which I have sold through Solidbody Guitar over the last five years.

All that said, I know the frustration of not being responded to, and had a similar experience with Bruce about this same time period.

However, I subsequently found out there were serious medical reasons, (and more) to blame. I saw the evidence firsthand! Ken, who by the way is no longer a co-owner, but just an employee now, indicated you have been repaid when I presented him with a print out of your posting.

So, I hope that is the case?If so, it seems like that should be known here.

to Doug Duncan Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States #709266

If the money was refunded what is the purpose for this post??

View more comments